Stats: 12.4 miles and 1,800 feet of ascent
There’s Wilf’s of course. Also, don’t overlook More Artisan bakery in the corner of the yard. They do cracking fruit-topped meat pies and stonking tiffin.
A wild moornland crossing of Green Quarter, a stony hop over Stile End then a rutted swing over Whiteside End (more classically done as a coda to Garburn Pass)
1. Sneak through Back Lane and head off up Kentmere.
2. Turn right almost immediately into Hall Lane, over the bridge and left to Scroggs Farm.
3. At the road, turn right to Elf Howe, drop to the beck and climb steeply back to the tarmac of Hall Lane.
4. Turn left and keep going until it become a track. Bear right at the “no bikes sign” and gain a wild moor. Skirt above Skeggles Water then drop to the terrace beneath Stile End.
5. At the end of the terrace, turn left up a steep stony byway then whoop down to Kentmere.
6. Descend on tarmac(High Lane, Hellwell Lane, Hollinrigg Lane), heading for the church.
7. Take the bridleway (Hodgson Brow) down to Kentmere Hall Farm and climb the long ramp south from its fortified farmhouse.
8. Where you drop to the stream at NY443027, don’t go through it but fork left down a rutted track which includes a fine stream crossing at Black Beck.
9. At Ullthwaite Bridge, turn right to take the short bridleway to Browfoot.
10. Spin down tarmac (Browfoot Lane) to the start.