Banner Photo by Heylo Pistazie on Unsplash
The Nivolet Pass (Italian: Colle del Nivolet is a mountain pass in the Eastern group of the Graian Alps in northern Italy. It’s located at the top of the Orco Valley, high up on the road from Turin to Ceresole Reale, in the Gran Paradiso National Park. The colle forms part of the boundary between the Aosta Valley and the Piemont region. It’s a beautiful colle, with lakes at the top and on the way there too. This is an isolated mountain climb, soprepare well and take the right kit.
Climbing the Colle del Nivolet – A classic Italian road cycling route
The Colle del Nivolet is a great Italian road cycling route and is ideal for a cycling holiday in Italy, with lots of great places to stay, and a great selection of Italian road cycling routes into the mountains to chose from nearby. It’s a simple route to follow, but not simple in terms of toughness. Beautiful views will reward you though, as you pass by Lago di Ceresole and the upper mountain lakes.
Distance and Ascent: 56km and 1928 metres of ascent
Refreshments: Cafe possible at 21km near the lake and a cafe available at the summit.
Colle del Nivolet - Route Details
- Start from the mountain town of Noasca, where there’s lots of accommodation options. Take a look at our accommodation link at the foot of the page.
- The SP460 road climbs for 8.4km until you turn right to the SP50. Follow the SP50 and hairpins begin in earnest at 16km, as trees begin to give way to wild mountains views all around you.
- At 20km enjoy the Lago Serru (lake) before continuing on the twisting road upwards, as hairpins twist you onwards, apssing buildings on the left at Agnel at 21.3km,just before reaching Lago Agnel on the left, as the spectacular raised mountain road takes you over the valley beside the waters of the lake.
- Eventually, the hairpins and gradient ease and the summit lakes lead you to the mountain refuse and restaurant of the summit. Take some well earned refreshments, get that extra jacket on and then descend with care, stopping at one of the lower mountain villages for coffee on the way down.
- There’s a great little cafe on the left at the village of Villa at the 44km point, where you can get a drink and snack to keep you going on the last section.
Mountain descents re tiring, so please take the opportunity for rest breaks.
Click below for GPX files
Colle Del Nivolet GPX
Colle del Nivolet Cue Card
Accommodation – Booking.com