Stats: 18 miles and 1330 feet of ascent
Superb cafe at Edmundbyers.
A loop of Derwent Reservoir, based on the pro series event ‘Tour of the Reservoir’
Start Point: The historic and scenic village of Blanchland (free car park located behind the White Monk tearoom)
1. Head past the arch and Lord Crewe Arms and up the short hill past the Ruffside Estate, with panoramic views of the Reservoir on the left-hand side. Continue to the village of Edmundbyers.
2. Turn left at the village shop then left again through the gate and along the reservoir dam to the visitor centre then a left turn to re-join the road.
3. Carry on up the bank to Carterwayheads crossroad with the A68, straight over then a left just before the village of Snods Edge for Shotley Field.
4. Keep going until you meet Kiln Pit Hill where you can find St. Andrew’s church and adjacent Hopper Mausoleum.
5. Turn left then cross the A68 again. At the Minsteracres retreat at Barleyhill. turn left and follow the road down to the north shores of the reservoir past the sailing club and nature reserves.
6. Turn right after the campsite to return to Blanchland.