Froggatt Circuit Road Cycling
Stats: 45 miles and 4322 feet of ascent
Numerous options including cafes, pubs and tea rooms are available in all of the villages the route passes through. Alternatively, take a slight detour off the route before the turn off for the Froggat climb and visit the Café on the crossroads at Calver.
Starting from the north west of Sheffield this is a route that soon enters the steep and rolling roads of the Peak National Park. The loop takes the rider up the beautiful Loxley Valley and out towards the wonderful landscape of the Strines moor. The villages of Bradfield, Bamford, Bradwell and the historic plague village of Edale are passed through (to name a few!) before the long final climb of Froggat. A series of descents then deliver you back down towards the city leaving you with the option of a final blast down the Rivelin Valley. There is very little flat riding on this route. However, the steep climbs are generally short in length and you will not spend much time in first gear!
1. Go straight up Loxley Road towards the village of Bradfield.
2. After a short descent take a left turn along the dam wall of the Damflask reservoir.
3. At the T junction take a right turn towards the village of Bradfield. Stay on the road which then swings left out of Bradfield village.
4. Take your first left off this road, after a very short descent you will then start to climb out of the Loxley Valley. This will certainly warm up your legs for the climbs to come. After levelling out at the top of the climb take a right turn at the T-junction towards Strines.
5. At the next T-junction take a left turn which takes you down to the A57. When you meet the A57 take a right turn towards Bamford.
6. Take a left turn at the lights across the viaduct over the Ladybower reservoir. After the descent through Bamford, make a right turn at the Petrol station towards Hope and Castleton.
7. At the first set of traffic lights you meet, make a left turn towards Bradwell. When you are through the village of Bradwell, prepare yourself for three sharp climbs on the bounce. First gear warning!
8. Bear left at the top of the third climb, signposted Gt Hucklow, and go straight across the junction at the give way sign. When you eventually reach the centre of Eyam, take a left turn onto the B6521.
9. After a long descent you will need to take a right turn onto the B6001 which takes you towards the village of Calver. Before you enter the village of Calver, and in sight of a car garage, take a left turn towards the village and climb of Froggat. You can really give your legs a final test on this climb as it never becomes so seriously steep that you cannot recover.
10. At the top of the Froggat climb take a left turn towards Sheffield/Fox House. Again, following the signs towards Sheffield take a right turn onto the A625. Make a right turn again to remain on the A625 towards Sheffield.
11. Take your first available left turn (after the S-bends) which will take you onto Sheephill Road towards the village of Ringinglow. At the T-junction in Ringinglow make a left, then an almost immediate right turn onto Fulwood Lane.
12. After a sharp descent with hairpin bends, take a right turn onto Brown Hills Lane. Take your first available left turn onto Lodge Moor Road.
13. At the T-junction take a left turn and then go straight across the crossroads that follow. Be careful on the descent! At the bottom of the descent you will need to make a right, then an immediate left turn to bring you up to Rivelin Valley Road.
14. Make a right turn at the crossroads and if you’re still feeling good, you can then put the hammer down on the gradual downhill slope of Rivelin Valley Road back towards your starting point at Malin Bridge.
click below for gpx file