Stats: 10 miles and 2,930 feet of ascent
Lots in Glenridding. After that, the Youth Hostel is the only commercial enterprise on the hill, so pack your butties.
A magnificent blast up England’s greatest legal high. Well worth doing as an out-and-back because the descent is magnificently rideable and the pleasure is all the greater if you’ve struggled on the same terrain on the way up.
1. From the Inn by the Lake, follow the Greenside Road up past the Traveller’s Rest, following signs to Helvellyn Youth Hostel.
2. Keep going, ignoring the right fork to Sticks Pass and the left fork to Brown Cove at 500m.
3. Zigzag steeply up the shoulder of Raise and onto the summit of Whiteside.
4. An easy descent leads to a spot of push’n’carry up to Lower Man and the easy trundle up to the main summit.
5. In reverse, the descent of Lower Man is pretty technical and you may need to dismount if you’re: (a) wary of causing erosion (b) wary of disturbing walkers or (c) really scared. Once you’ve done that, the rest is a blast.
click below for gpx file