Kilham & Bridlington
Stats: 23 miles and 1200 feet of ascent
Plenty of parking around the village of Wold Newton. The Anvil Arms in Wold Newton serves lunchtime food Sat and Sun and some evening meals. Advisable to check beforehand. Eastfield Garden Centre near Bridlington has a fantastic coffee shop and is just 0.5 mile from Bridlington
A fast, rolling route that sweeps you along to the coast and back, using superb cycling lanes.
1. From Wold Newton take the Road towards Foxholes and along Butt lane. Ride for 1 mile take the left turn signposted to Thwing. Follow this road up the road to T junction turn left to Thwing.
2. In Thwing, follow the main road until the right turn and sign post to Kilham 4 miles (another Butts Lane!). Follow this road straight on to meet the B1253 (busy road) and straight on and descend, and then take a short climb after the left hand bend, to then drop down towards Thwing. At the bottom of the hill follow the road right and opposite the children’s play area take the left turn which has a No Long Vehicles sign.
3. This short road has a sharp left turn, so beware, and ride safely into Thwing. Go straight on at the give way outside the Bay Horse pub and follow this road, keeping on the main road through the village. Leave the village and keep straight on and start a shallow climb up onto the Roman Road (National Cycle network No 1) ignoring any temptation to turn left or right. The Road is called Woldgate. It was on this road that David Hockney observed many different seasons and recorded what he saw on canvas with paints,and there are some great views from this road. Keep admiring these as you climb all the way up to the radio mast.
4. The road levels off and then drops to the Woldgate Trekking and Livery Centre, then a short climb to drop towards Bridlington and the busy A165.
5. Take a left here – you have two options: either the road or there is a short cycle path on the opposite of the road following the road. Eastfield Garden Centre for a café stop is signposted off to the left just up this road. If you stay on the A165 and this ride route, follow this road to the roundabout and take the first left past the Esso garage.
6. Leave Bridlington and take a left at the Grindale and Burton Fleming road. Follow the main road back towards Wold Newton, passing through Grindale, when the road has a sharp left and right bend to negotiate.
7. Keep on the main road, which is rolling and undulating road as it leads you back to Burton Fleming, and keep on the main road all the way back to your start point.
click below for gpx file