Lake Shoes Ride Yorkshire – UCI TT & TDF Routes
This ride takes in the majority of the 2019 UCI World Road Cycling TT route, and a section of the 2014 Tour de France Grand Depart route.
It starts and finishes at Studley Royal, a World Heritage Site.
Stats: 61 km & 820 metres of climbing (2692 feet)
Visitor centre at Fountains Abbey & Studley Royal World Heritage Site, and also at Jonny Baghdad’s Cafe, Masham along the ride.
This route starts at the ancient Cathedral city of Ripon, taking on the main part of the 2019 UCI World TT route, before heading off on local country roads, before joining a section of the 2014 Tour de France route. Climbs and descents on tight twisting lanes, and epic countryside, make it a ride to remember.
- The ride starts at Studley village, heading through the famous Deer Park, and joining the private road for Fountains Abbey.
- Leave the visitor centre road onto the twisting lane that descends to the rear abbey entrance, turning sharply at the abbey and then turning left, climbing up towards Sawley. Stay on this road, descending steeply before a steep 20% climb that leads to a long and flat straight.
- Turn off right to Bishop Thornton, riding through Shaw Mills, before climbing to Bedlam. After descending Bedlam Bank, turn off left and head back towards Fountains Abbey.
- Stay on the quiet lane and cross over the B6265 road and head down and around via Low Grantley and a few short climbs to Kirkby Malzeard.
- At Kirkby Malzeard, ride straight over and down the twisting hill, riding on to Grewlthorpe.
- At Grewelthorpe take the long climbing quiet lane (Nutwith Lane) which climbs to a road junction, then turn right and then right again. Then descend down to Swinton via Warthermarske Hill, a long and steep descent where care should be taken.
- Ride into Masham and onto the town square – time for a coffee.
- From Masham join the main road towards Ripon, part of the 2014 Tour de France Grand Depart. Stay on this all the way to North Stainley. Just before North Stainley turn off right and follow the twisting lanes across to the Kirkby Road, then heading left and into Ripon.
- At Ripon ride back to Studley village on the Pateley Bridge Road, back to Studley village.
Click below for a gpx file
Click below to visit the Lake website