London to Box Hill Circular
Stats: 85 miles and 4072 feet of ascent
Box Hill Cafe and The Dynamo Cafe in Putney on the way back.
We’ve tried to keep this to the easier traffic roads in and around London, taking in the River Thames Cycling Superhighway, and putting a detour to The Albert Memorial on the way home – one of our favourite spots in London. Oh, and you climb Box Hill of course!
- From the Tate Gallery, follow the Thames and pick up the Fulham Road. Cross Putney Bridge and head to Roehampton Gate via Upper Richmond Road and Pirory Lane.
- Exit the park at Ham Gate Avenue and follow Richmond Road to Kingston.
- Cross the Thames and ride around the edge of Hampton Court Palace, crossing the Thames and riding to Esher.
- From Esher take the Portsmouth road, crossing the A3 and dropping down Fairmile Lane, before turning right onto Leigh Hill Road. At the main junction with Stoke Road turn right into Cobham, then turning left at Cobham into Downside Bridge Road.
- Turn off right at the pub and cross the M25, through Martyr’s Green and Ockham, heading down to East Clandon.
- Cross over the Epson Road onto Staple Lane, cross the A25, ride through Shere and down to Ewhurst.
- At Ewhurst turn left towards Forest Green, and then shortly after the village turn off left to Leith Hill.
- Climb Leith Hill and then ride to Westhumble and onto Box Hill for a rest.
- Leave Box Hill towards Pebble Coombe, before turning left and heading north towards Headley. Cross the M25 and pass Ashead Park, before turning right at the main road on the Dorking-Epson Road into Epsom.
- Head out of Epson towards Oxshott and after the second roundabout turn off right on the lane towards West Ewell, then heading to Chessington and picking up the A243 Hook Road (right turn). Next junction go straight over towards Surbiton and then back towards Kingston along the river.
- Time to ride back through Richmond Park, skirting the top edge and dropping to Barnes and Hammersmith before crossing the river.
- Ride to Hyde Park and the Albert Memorial, before dropping back down to Kensington and via Chelsea to the river. Head back now to the Tate and Millbank. Time for cake and art.
click below for gpx file