Ripon & Markington Loop
Stats: 20km and flat and rolling
Ample facilities and refreshments at Ripon. Morrison’s itself has a very nice little cafe. The Sun Parlour Cafe at the Spa Gardens is a favourite haunt of cyclists.
This is a simple but lovely ride taking in the rural delights of roads around Markington village and the world famous Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Deer Park. A good climb to start off with is soon rewarded with a cracking descent. Twisting lanes will guide you around this delightful route.
It is as the name suggests a 20km loop starting and finishing in Ripon.
Well worth a visit to the National Trust ‘World Heritage Site’ at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal.
1. Start at Morrisons car park on Harrogate Road, Ripon. Morrisons has a cafe which can be used for a brew and stock up on hydration and bits to eat on the way round.
2. At the traffic lights turn left and continue on to the roundabout. Straight over and continue along the A61.
3. Cascade Aquatic Centre and nursery on your right. There is a cafe here if required.
4. At the bottom of Wormald Green hill turn right across traffic on Markington Lane. Through the village of Markington with the rather splendid Markington Hall on your right. At the end of the village turn right onto Western Lane.
5. At the end of Western Lane turn right and continue on towards Fountain Hall. You’ll notice the rather odd looking folly on the hill on the left. Worth a photo opportunity.
6. You then drop down the hill towards Fountains Hall with stunning views across the valley. Get ready for a drop in gears for the incline on the other side.
7. Pass the outskirts of Aldfield and meet the A6265. Turn right back towards Ripon. This a fast stretch of road which demands you turn the speed up.
8. Back into the City of Ripon, right at the mini roundabout, right at the traffic lights and back along Harrogate Road to Morrisons. Job done. Well done and I hope you’ve had a nice day out.
You can if you want to make your way into the Fountains Abbey visitor centre at point 6. Having started the climb you’ll see an entrance on your right. Take this and follow the good lane along to the visitor centre on the right. The centre has a cafe and entrance point into the deer park and Fountains Abbey.