Banner Photo by Manuele Sangalli on Unsplash
The Tre Cime di Lavaredo is an epic short climb in the Italian mountains. However, what this short Italian road cycling route lacks in distance, it makes up for in bite – it’s tough. The mountain views are epic and wild along this cycling route in the mountains of northern Italy, and the profile above is reversed once you reach the summit, to enjoy epic descending back home.
Climbing the Tre Cime de Lavaredo – A classic Italian road cycling route
The Tre Cime di Lavaredo is a short but beautiful Italian road cycling route and is ideal for a cycling holiday in Italy, with lots of great places to stay, and a great selection of classic road cycling routes to chose from nearby. It’s a simple route to follow, but not simple in terms of toughness. The views are superb and the summit has all the necessary refreshments, before you descend back down the mountains, having enjoyed another classic road cycling route in Italy.
Distance and Ascent: 37km and 1247 metres of ascent
Refreshments: Refreshments available at the summit.
Tre Cime di Lavaredo - Route Details
- Often used on the Giro, this is a superb and famous climb. Ss such, the road is in good condition, and you can extend the route yourself, by starting it further down the valley. However, we decided to make it a short but epic days riding, allowing time to take in a classic Italian road cycling route.
- Start at the car parking area next to the ‘Farm Courts Ranch in Palus San Marco and take the SR48 road upwards of course 😉
- Climb steeply through trees for 7.5 km until a road sign indicates the way to Austria onto the SP49 and the Tre Cime di Lavaredo – yes, Austria! Follow this, turning right at the well signed junction. This road can be busy, so take care.
- Continue up the many hairpins, indicated at 12% on road signs, passing through the large mountain hamlet of Misurina on the way. Ample opportunity exists here for a coffee on the descent, and it makes sense, resting after a tough descent. The views of the lake and the Grand Hotel will make you want to return and it’s a good option in the area for a multi activity vacation.
- As you cycle past the Grand Hotel and begin to leave Misurina, the junction on the right is signed for the tre Cime di Lavaredo, opposite the Dolomiti des Alpes lodge and should be taken (10.5 km).
- This mountain road will be busy, so please take care, especially on the descent, and do not try overtaking unnecessarily. Trees and mountains lakes reward you now, as hairpins test you and you continue to climb.
- Eventually the trees give way to mountain views and summits, as your near the top. Turning off right at the summit, the refuge will provide warm drinks and food, as you rest and wrap up for the descent.
Mountain descents re tiring, so please take the opportunity for rest breaks.
Click below for GPX files
Tre Cime di Lavaredo GPX
Accommodation – Booking.com