Kirkby Malzeard Moor
Stats: 16 miles
This is a great loop route starting and finishing in the pretty village of Kirby Malzeard. In the village there is a butchers, shop and a pub/tandoori restaurant if that takes your fancy.
Kirkby Malzeard is a great place for mountain biking, but has a limited amount of accommodation to choose from. Nearby Masham has a greater choice and flexibility, whilst remaining close to lots of rides. However, for snacks, the butchers and deli at Kirkby Malzeard really does take some beating. Oh, and the pub has a great curry house inside – honest!
The mountain biking in this route is superb, tarmac lanes leading into rocky but well defined track around Kirby Malzeard Moor. In the west of the ride you will see dramatic views of the high end of Nidderdale into Middlesmoor and Scar House.
1. Park up in Kirby Malzeard. The Main street provides ample parking throughout the day and the shop is close by at the top of the Main Street.
2. Head west out of the village onto Greystone Head. This lane is good tarmac road with a steep but short climb with a forest to your right. The lane eventually stops at Dallowgill, by a parking area and stream. Continue onto the unmade lane. Going initially is ok but it will soon become quite rocky and better MTB terrain.
3. Through a gate and down the slope, taking the right fork at the next track junction. Rough track with shooting traps on your right hand side. Through later months there will be shooting parties moving through fields.
4. At the next fork take the left hand lane down into the dip and bridge, and up the other side to another junction in the tracks. This junction, I find, is about half way and a good place for a break.
5. Continue east along the descent track towards the pinnacle of Kirby Malzeard Moor at 359m. The track becomes straight and fast as you drop over the other side.
6. A fast descent awaits, but keep looking for the fork to the right, passing tracks to the left on the way. At times of the year it can be slightly hidden in the heather. If you are enjoying the fast descent too much you may miss it.Not a problem – just keep going and look for the next right turn onto Brown bank Road. If you have managed to see the fork take the right track and keep travelling down through the heather to Newlands House and through the farm yard.
7. Follow Brown Bank Road onto Kirk Bank, east back into Kirby Malzeard. A fast descent down the good tarmac road and an enjoyable end to your ride. Plenty of pubs in the village for a pint.
click below for gpx file