London to Rye
Stats: 75 miles and 4713 feet of ascent (each way)
Groombridge Place Tea Rooms near Ashurst. Cafe on the Quay at Rye
A ride out through the Sussex countryside, to Rye on the beautiful Sussex Coast. Take a train back, or stay over and return the following day.
- Follow the gpx file out of London via Dulwich and Crystal Palace. At Beckenham turn south direct on the A202 and head towards Biggin Hill and some steady climbs.
- Continue on quiet roads and lanes, crossing the M25 and heading through Brasted, then turning right onto New road and continuing south towards Ide Hill and Chiddingstone National Trust village.
- From here, head off down Wellers Town Road towards Chiddingstone Hoath and onto Groombridge, where you can rest for coffee and cake.
- The route then weaves through tree lined countryside and rolling lanes to Durgates, where you pick up the B2009 towards Shover’s green, turning off here right towards Stonegate.
- From Stonegate weave through Etchingham and onto Roberts Bridge, before quiet lanes lend their way towards the coast and Winchelsea.
- Follow the coast to Rye
click below for gpx file