Stats: 90 miles and 5750 feet of ascent
Cafes at: N1 Golf, Kirkley Cycles, Belsay, Bellingham, Otterburn, Elsdon, Rothbury, Felton, Morpeth
Start and Finish: Saint John’s Chapel in Weardale.
Quiet country roads around the heart of Northumberland
1. Head south out of Morpeth over Telford bridge and past the old keep, turn right at the roundabout then left after the golf course.
2. Turn left for Kirkley and then right at Kirkley Hall.
3. Turn left at Ogle, then left again just as you leave the village.
4. At the end turn right, then left for Belsay. Turn right onto the small at the junction then first left.
5. Cross the main road, then after the zig zags turn left then the right signed Ingoe.
6. Follow the road until the junction and turn right for Ryal, go through the tiny village then the exhilarating drop down the hill, at the end of the road turn left, cross the A68 then right for Barrasford.
7. Carry on past Chipchase Castle to Wark and turn left in the village signed for Stonehaugh, take the right fork then a right onto Wark Common.
8. Turn right then left and cross Bellingham bridge and take the first left.
9. At Lanehead turn right, then right again at Greenhaugh.
10. At the B6320 turn left, cross the A68 and carry on to Otterburn.
11. Turn right in the village then take the left fork to Elsdon, go through the village then follow the B6341 to Rothbury.
12. Turn right in the town, cross the bridge then take a left onto Wagtail Road then follow the railway path until the end and turn left, cross the river Coquet and turn right.
13. Turn left at Todstead Farm then right through Longframlington.
14. Turn right then left for Felton, right at Old Swarland and overpass the A1 then Felton.
15. Turn right in the village over the bridge then left round the loop junction.
16. Carry on to the Widdrington Junction and turn right for Ulgham (pronounced Uffham), after the village turn right signed Cockle Park then left for Hebron.
17. In the village turn right and follow the road back to Morpeth, with a left turn onto Pottery Bank.