Sibiu to Paltinis Cycle Route
One of the finest road cycling climbs in Transylvania, to the highest resort in Romania, Paltinis is a favourite area for our own Larisa 🙂
Sibiu is one of the most beautiful medieval cities in Europe and is surrounded by the high mountains of Transylvania. This route takes you to Paltinis, the highest resort in Romania and a regular climb on the annual Sibiu Tour.
Stats: 69 km and 1,125 metres of ascent
Refreshments & Where to Stay
Sibiu is an amazing place, with an international airport and lots of accommodation choices at all prices. There’s a wealth of great coffee shops and restaurants to eat at too, and lots to explore on foot. The historic centre has superb hotels and AirBNB choices to suit all budgets. Making Sibiu your cycle tour base will allow you you to chill out as you enjoy the ambience and flavour or Transylvania.
This is a tough and long climb, but with amazing views of the mountains all around you. The climb twists and turns to Paltinis, with some sharp switchbacks to be careful of on the descent. Staying in historic Sibiu also allows you the freedom to enjoy the history and scenery more on foot, relaxing in this unique area of a Europe – transfixing Transylvania, the home for our own editor, Larisa Chinces, who is waiting to share her favourite roads with you.
1. From Piata Mare head out of town passing the sports stadium, and towards the parks at Aleea Cãlãretilor. At Strada Ludos cross over into the park and cycle through, exiting onto Calea Dumbrãvii near the Hilton Hotel.
2. Turn right onto this road, the DJ106A and stay on it, passing through Rãsinari at 11km. The road begins to climb now, soon steepening as you hit the mountains, and continues to climb until the 33km point, summiting at Paltinis resort. Take a short refreshments break here and enjoy the spectacular scenery.
3. Descend with caution on the sharp hairpin bends, all the back down to Rãsinari.
4. At 53.7km turn left to Poplaca onto the DJ106D.
4. At Poplaca turn onto the DJ106R (57km) Calea Popliãcii signed towards Sibiu. Follow this route back into Sibiu and head for the historic centre and Piata Mare.
Click below for GPX file & accommodation
Sibiu to Paltinis
Route Cue Card