Sutton Bank & Boltby
26.5 km and 323 metres of ascent
This route starts and finishes at the National Parks Visitor Centre at Sutton Bank. It has good safe car parking, a cafe and toilets.
Please do not park along the verges nearby. Pay for parking and keep the lanes clear and verges undamaged.
The route takes you along the escarpment overlooking the Vale of York, and weaves among the new trails created to merge in with the bridleways. There are numerous other options that you pass, but this is a route that we believe you’ll love. This is a technical line, with twists and turns over rocks. Afterwards, it’ll def be time now for tea and cake.
Start Point: National Parks Visitor Centre, Sutton Bank
1. From the car park head to the lane towards Cold Kirby but take the bike trail signed into the woods and follow the man made trail, which eventually spits you out on the road near to the gallops.
2. As you approach Dialstone Farm turn left onto the bridleway that skirts the edge of fields before turning onto the Cleveland Way.Having turned right, follow the singletrack as it skirts along the edge, with rolling and twisting fun, passing an old farm on the right, before dropping across the meadow and crossing the road of Bolty Scar.
3. Follow the track into the trees and continue until gates lead you to a narrow road to High Paradise farm. Pass the farmstead and rejoin the Cleveland way path.
4. At the wide bridleway you will see a moorland opposite with another bridleway, which cuts across the heather with a good singletrack route towards Arden Hall. As you join the wide doubletrack bridleway, turn left and climb back up towards the Cleveland way.
5. Turn left at the Cleveland Way track, before turning off right at a gate a short time later, and drop on a singletrack path through the rough meadow, towards trees in Boltby Forest. At the BW junction, turn right and climb back up to the Cleveland Way. Turn right onto the track and cycle along to Sneck Yate.
6. Cross over the road at Sneck Yate and follow the long straight road towards Sutton Bank for 1 mile until a bridleway right should be taken. This leads you back to the main escarpment and the Cleveland Way once more. Turn left and enjoy excellent singletrack on the blue route, with sublime views all the way back to the visitor centre – then have another play on the first loop 🙂
click below for gpx file