Distance and ascent: 75.91 km and 1206 metres elevation reached
1. This ride starts in the small town of Meircurea Sibiului, to the west of the city of Sibiu. Ride west along the E81 and turn off onto the DJ106f road signed to Gorbova, a town famed for its hill top church.
2. In Garbova, follow the road right, as you see another spired church with a clock ahead of you, and ride over the small multi-coloured bridge, staying on the main road in the direction of Calnic (signed). Calnic is reached after 17km and the rolling roads start to become more testing.
3. At Calnic take the DJ670C road just before the small village green, signed to Sasciori. Riding in open country,the road climbs steeply, before dropping through the village of Dumbrava as it twists and turns to Sasciori. At Sasciori turn left and join the famous Transalpina road and start the journey to the higher hills.
4. Climbing steadily now, at the 38km point of the ride, a junction left is signed for the town of Jina. Take this and follow the road as it continues to rise and the road reaches Dobra at the 45 km point. The climbing now steepens to epic proportions as the tight bends guide you up the famous climb.
5. Heading through the town of Jina, the legs will be tiring, and trees are reached, with beautiful high country meadows on either side of the road too. Finally the summit is reached and the sweeping descent begins, with an initial few kilometres of gentle descending, before the awesome and technical speedy fall to the valley below. All that’s left is to enjoy the epic ride to its conclusion, and find a coffee shop back in historic Sibiu, to relive the awesome route with friends.
Click below for gpx file