Romania and the area of Transylvania have some of the most beautiful forested areas and awesome mountains in Europe – if not the world. This two-day mountain bike trip takes in the mountain area of Brucegi and the Omu Peak, a famous Romanian summit.
Take a trip with Larisa Chinces, into the beautiful forested hills and mountains in the west of Romania and Transylvania
Magura town sits beneath the beautiful mountains, surrounded by trails in my home – Transylvania, near to the historic city of Bran. The castles neary and the forests and hills are all magical and the riding is awesome 🙂
Magura Peak is a wonderful mountain bike trail route in my home – Transylvania, near to the historic city of Sibiu. It takes you through magical forests and high into the mountains, with the wild and beautiful Romanian countryside surrounding you. I love exploring and riding in the hills here, and this route is a special one to share with you 🙂
Avrig near Sibiu, Mountain Bike Route
Into the Fagaras Mountains
This short mountain bike route into the forest close to the historic medieval city of Sibiu in Transylvania, has some testing technical sections and steep climbing. It’s a perfect technical trail ride for a spring or summer spin.
Sitting nestled close to the Fagaras Mountains, historic Sibiu is a great base for both road and mountain bike trips. This nearby route from the village of Avrig, takes you along steep and technical trails in the forests, exploring the lower Fagaras mountain biking opportunities.
Stats: 40.7 km and 988 metres of ascent
Refreshments & Where to Stay
Nearby Sibiu has all that you need for your stay, and you can fly in to Sibiu international airport too. There are lots of accommodation choices at all prices. There’s also a wealth of great coffee shops and restaurants to eat at, and lots to explore on foot. The historic centre is one of the most complete medieval cities in Europe and has superb hotels and AirBNB choices to suit all budgets.
This is a short but testing forestry mountain bike trail near Sibiu, with some great technical sections and lots of descending, after the steep inital climbing 😉 It’s a useful spring and summer mtb route for a morning or afternoon ride, before relaxing in this unique area of a Europe – transfixing Transylvania.
1. Unless riding with a local guide, you will need to follow the gps for this route into the hills. Head out of Avrig on the trail marked ‘105F’, passing Cabana Valea Avrigului Ovidiu after a short distance. Continue on,passing the happily named ‘Cabana Smiley’ and several other accommodation opportunities.
2. At the timber structure of ‘Gura Jibrii’ follow the gravelled trail into the trees (10.6 km). The trail climbs and follows the ridgeline in the forest, passing the cabin ‘Anna Charisma’ at 14.6 km.
3. At the 18km point, turn upwards and right, heading away from the river and climbing through trees to the high point, then descending and passing the track junction in the trees and continuing down in the direction of Marsa.
4. At 20.4 km stay on the right hand track and continue down as the trail becomes technical and skirts theforested hillside to Marsa. At 26.5 km the trail levels out for a short distance, descending again after 29 km, as it drops to Marsa.
5. Now take the open trail as it winds its way back to Avrig and the finish. Pack the bike away and drive back to Sibiu for some refreshments and evening exploring.
Click below to download GPX file
Avrig & Lower Fagaras Mountains